GRANT WRITER - Full-Time, San Francisco
About Sustainable Conservation
Sustainable Conservation helps California thrive by uniting people to solve the toughest challenges facing our land, air, and water. Every day, we bring together business, landowners, and government to steward the resources on which we all depend in ways that make economic sense. Because we know that common ground is California’s most important resource.
Position SummaryUnder the direction of our Grants Manager, the Grant Writer works closely with program staff to develop, write, edit, proofread, and submit a high volume of quality foundation proposals and reports, while meeting deadlines. The ideal candidate will have excellent writing skills, be able to manage multiple deadlines, and connect with our mission. A background in environmental science or journalism is helpful.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
Proposals and Reports:
- Write, update, and submit successful grant proposals, letters of intent, and comprehensive reports in collaboration with program staff.
- Coordinate the development of proposal budgets and financial reports with finance staff.
- Maintain grants calendar for proposal and report due dates and develop timelines for internal review process.
- Track and manage all deadlines and ensure they are met.
Stewardship and Additional Duties:
- Assist with relationship management as needed, including scheduling meetings and assembling follow up communications.
- Research and identify foundation and corporate prospects.
- Oversee/manage foundation files.
Core Competencies, Skills, and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree – Environmental Studies or Journalism a plus.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, with high attention to detail.
- Proven ability to synthesize and convey complex information for a wide variety of audiences.
- Ability to write persuasively, clearly, and concisely, and to seamlessly blend together information from multiple sources.
- Highly developed time management skills with ability to prioritize large volume of work.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with ability to ask clarifying questions, build rapport, maintain relationships, and respond with flexibility to unanticipated requests.
- Ability to work independently, collaboratively with a team, and across teams.
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel.
- Good sense of humor.
Physical Requirements: Heavy keyboard work, sitting for long periods
What we offer: A competitive compensation package based on experience, fully-paid health insurance benefits, generous match on 401k, vacation, sick leave, paid sabbatical (after three years), plus the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day is holiday leave. Our best benefit is our culture! Our entire staff is collaborative and caring. Our Development and Communications team is amazingly talented, hard-working, and supportive of each other.
To Apply: Please email resume and cover letter describing how your prior experience will set you up for success in this position. Please also include salary of last position as well as salary desired.
Email us at email@example.com. Please include “Grant Writer” in subject line. No phone calls please. We will contact you if we need more information or wish to set up an interview. Sustainable Conservation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.